No products in the cart
While there are many mineral sunscreens that offer UVA/UVB protection, very few go deeper to address and counteract the long-term damaging effects caused by free radicals and overexposure to the sun.
Sunburns are caused by a complex chemical reaction that creates free radicals that damage DNA molecules in the skin, dilate blood vessels and then recruit inflammatory compounds to help minimize the damage.
Peeling skin is caused when the burn is so bad that it destroyed those molecules and your dead skin sloughs off.
But the burn goes deeper and not all the damaged DNA peels off. The UVB rays that caused the burn have a short wavelength and generally don’t penetrate the inner layers of your skin. UVA rays have longer wavelengths and can penetrate more deeply, causing long-term damage to cells where photoaging occurs.
It’s the free radicals, atoms without paired electrons, released by overexposure to the sun that harm your skin at the cellular level. They rip through collagen and elastin fibers, leading to wrinkles, dark spots, and saggy skin.
You can’t avoid free radicals (even if you totally avoid the sun) but antioxidants in your skin care products can combat them by “donating” an electron to the unbalanced atom, effectively halting the process. That’s why Stream2Sea’s sunscreen and body care products are packed with powerful antioxidants that take protection from the sun a step further than just blocking its rays:
- Green tea is well-known for its anti-aging benefits when consumed as a beverage. Rich in polyphenolic compounds, when used topically, green tea is a potent antioxidant that also helps to reduce redness & improve skin elasticity.
- Holy basil, also known as tulsi, is a highly effective adaptogen, which increases your body’s ability to resist the damaging effects of stress and restore normal function.
- Aloe is one of the most well-known remedies for overexposure to the sun because it’s cooling and soothing. Containing multiple antioxidants, aloe is also a non-greasy moisturizer that keeps skin hydrated.
- Olive leaf is packed with phytonutrients to protect against the free radicals that cause cellular damage; it nourishes and purifies the skin, reduces redness, stimulates the growth of new cells, and improves circulation.
- Wakame Seaweed is naturally abundant in amino acids from seawater, making it an excellent ingredient for those with dry or dehydrated skin. Wakame targets the mitochondria, which contributes to the longevity of cells and minimizes damage at a cellular level.
At Stream2Sea, we create reef safe, mineral UVA/UVB sunscreens and body care products that are loaded with antioxidant-rich botanicals to nourish, protect, and restore damaged skin. Our products are formulated to be safe for you, safe for your family, and safe for our waters.
Stream2Sea has set a new standard for EcoConscious sunscreen and skincare. Along with the required human safety and SPF tests, Stream2Sea products are proven to be readily biodegradable in both salt and fresh water and have passed a comprehensive series of aquatic toxicity tests. Formulated with powerful antioxidant blends to protect skin from sun damage, the Stream2Sea line includes safe sunscreens, conditioning shampoo and body wash, leave-in conditioner, nourishing body lotion and lip balms. Stream2Sea products are currently available online at www.Stream2Sea.com or ask for them at your favorite health food store, dive center or outdoor retailer. Friend us on Facebook or call (866) 960-9513.